Thursday, February 23, 2006

MoMA

Reading - The Artist's Sketchbook magazine. Has an article about making your own playing cards. Not for playing. The idea is to cut out 52 cards and once a week make a card. You can do what ever on it. Paint, draw, scribble, write or all of the previous. Both of my kids want to try it. We'll see how long it lasts with them.

Watching - Not much. The Olympics have bumped the couple of shows my wife and I watch. I have the original Bad News Bears on DVD to watch tomorrow night. Last time I saw that movie is in the theaters when it came out. I hope it holds up. I remember it being pretty funny.

MoMA - I went to and joined. This was my first visit since the renovation. They did a great job. I walked around with a big dopey grin on my face. Some great stuff. One floor was devoted to drawing. My brain overloaded with excitement. Two other displays that caught my attention.

One was a large room that had a video on one wall of a line of about 25 people standing there looking at you. It must have looped at some point but I could see it. There was a young kid who said "Is this it? People just looking at you?" He got a laugh from most of the people in the room.

The other was a separate room. It was a dark hall that walked in to into a dark room. The room was back lit wit ha soft red light giving an odd affect of the walls in the room. You couldn't walk into the room just look into it. People kept bumping into each other coming and going from the display because the hall was so dark. I kept thinking the artist was watching and laughing about the people bumping into each other and trying to navigate around each other. Then I thought that was the real piece.

No comments: