Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Failure

I started a new painting. We have a cool candlestick holder that I always wanted to render. I found a table cloth that I thought would go well with it. But it needed something else. I tried a few things and finally settled on a bowl. I wanted something small to take your eye down to offset the orange candles. The brown in the bowl I want to lean closer to the orange in the candles to tie them together.

The composition is a little tricky (for me anyway). I took my time, tried measuring and such, but still couldn't get it right. So I gessoed the panel and will try again. One thing I learned is if it isn't right from the start, it will never be right. The best thing to do is start from the beginning.

Here is a picture of the set up and the failed drawing.




No comments: